The anti-inflammatory effects of turmeric are well established. But finding tasty ways to include it can be a challenge. Well, look no further!
This butter chicken recipe is a client favorite. I have modified it slightly to include a yogurt marinade for the chicken which brightens the flavor and adds even more nutrition to the dish. If you would like to keep the recipe vegan, you can omit the yogurt and just use chickpeas and/or tofu as the protein.
For extra veggies, add a diced sweet potato, or consider adding mixed vegetables to your rice. Chickpeas offer extra fiber, substance, and are an economical way to add extra protein and nutrition.
You can use any kind of rice. However, if weight loss, blood sugar control or increasing vegetable intake is among your nutritional goals then give cauliflower rice a try!Print
Try this recipe to incorporate new flavors and anti-inflammatory spices to your diet. It is bold, satisfying, and will take your taste buds on an adventure!
Butter Chicken Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup tomato paste (about 1/2 small can)
- 1 can unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
Spice Blend Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Make spice blend by combining dry spices only.
- Dice chicken into cubes.
- In a bowl combine yogurt, chicken, and ½ the spice blend. Marinade chicken for 1-4 hours if time allows.
- Heat oil on medium high heat. Add onions and saute until they begin to soften. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining dry spices and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and chicken mixture. Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add in coconut milk and chickpeas. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve over rice, top with a dollop of plain yogurt if desired.