Show your gut bacteria some love with these simple but decadent chocolate truffles. The antioxidants in the cocoa powder are very nourishing for the beneficial bacteria in your gut. And when you take care of your gut, your gut will take care of you. Explore the connection between your gut bacteria, heart health and mood in my recent article Your Gut Bacteria Love Chocolate, TOO . Give these truffles a try. They are delicious little treats you can feel good about.Print
These simple but decadent chocolate truffles have only three main ingredients. The sugar is all natural and comes solely from the dates. They are delicious as is, or you can fancy them up by dipping them in them in melted white or dark chocolate. The antioxidants in the cocoa powder help your good gut bacteria thrive which can improve your mood, and your heart health. My article The Good Bacteria Love Chocolate, Too explains how. These delicious treats will love you back!
1 cup pitted dates
3 cups water (just boiled)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 tbsp coconut oil
1/3 cup chocolate chips (if dipping)
- Add the dates to a medium-sized bowl and cover with just-boiled hot water. Let them sit for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the dates and add to a food processor with cocoa powder, and 3 tbsp of coconut oil. Process until the mixture comes together.
- Remove the chocolate mixture and scoop into rough teaspoon-sized balls. Don’t roll them with your hands just yet as they will be too oily. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and put them in the freezer to set for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add the chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon of additional coconut oil and microwave in 20 second intervals until melted. Stir between intervals.
- Remove the truffles from the freezer and use your hands to smooth them into balls. Take each ball and roll into melted chocolate with a spoon and then place them back on the baking sheet.
- Let set for 10 minutes in the fridge or freezer. Enjoy!
Recommended serving: 1-2 truffles.
Add peppermint or orange extract for a different flavour.
Drizzle with melted white or mint chocolate chips.
Sprinkle with sea salt, crushed candy canes, sprinkles, cocoa powder, or coconut if desired.
Keywords: chocolate truffles